dpkg-source error 9

Nobody is responding on the IRC channel, so I am posting here.

I recently reworked my Launchpad publishing script to perform automatic
signing without gpg-agent and without user input. Due to the lack of
options in debuild, this requires telling debuild to skip signing and then
manually signing the dsc file, updating the dsc checksum in the changes
file, and then signing the changes file.

I do this, and dput works, but Launchpad rejects the changes, saying that
dpkg-source failed with return value 9 and no output. A source package from
the same source tree but signed automatically with debuild works.

Does anybody know what dpkg-source command Launchpad runs? It would be
helpful if I could try to mirror the process locally.