Getting the distribution series in a recipe

Hi there!
  Inside a recipe I can use several useful variables, specified in [1].
Now, my project needs different packaging for different distribution
series, so I was thinking to store the debian packaging in branches
named like "packaging-xenial" and "packaging-bionic", and then have the
recipe pick the correct one and merge it into the base code.

However, there doesn't seem to be a variable carrying the distribution
name, which would allow me to write a recipe command like

    merge packaging lp:~mardy/imaginario/packaging-{distribution}

I guess I need to use two different recipes, then, or is there some
trick to achieve this with a single recipe?

Ciao,
  Alberto

[1]:
https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/SourceBuilds/Recipes#Version_numbers_and_substitution_variables