Re: Possible IPv6 Issues With Launchpad in Turkey

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 09:27:31AM +0000, M.Hanny Sabbagh wrote:
> Err:10 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ernstp/mesarc/ubuntu focal InRelease
>   Cannot initiate the connection to ppa.launchpad.net:80 (2001:67c:1560:8008::19). - connect (101: Network is unreachable) Could not connect to ppa.launchpad.net:80 (91.189.95.85), connection timed out

This doesn't seem to be just IPv6; notice that this reports an error on
IPv4 (91.189.95.85) as well.

For what it's worth, ppa.launchpad.net is working fine for me over both
IPv4 and IPv6.

> Apparently, it is failing to connect because of some IPv6 issues. I do
> not know yet what could be causing the problem, but I am using Turk
> Telekom (Turkey's largest ISP) for my Fiber Internet and I can't
> install or update packages because of this.
>
> I can browse launchpad.net and ppa.launchpad.net URLs from my browser just fine.

Perhaps there's a proxy involved in the case of apt but not the browser,
or vice versa?

> Weirdly enough this issue just poped-up two days ago, without any
> action from my side. I checked my router's and system settings and
> IPv6 is enabled. However, some people say that Turk Telekom does not
> support IPv6, so I am not sure about the situation or what can we do
> from here to check the problem.

I'd start by getting something like "mtr -4n --report ppa.launchpad.net"
and "mtr -6n --report ppa.launchpad.net" to see what network paths are
involved.  From there it should be possible to figure out roughly which
bit of the network between you and us is at fault.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]