Re: Source code import with git submodules

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 07:28:36PM +0300, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
>   The page at https://help.launchpad.net/VcsImports says:
>
> "Git: Repositories with submodules or signed commits in their history
> can currently only be imported to Git, not to Bazaar."
>
> Yet, I have a git repository in Gitlab, and I cannot import it into my
> git repository in LP:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~mardy/mitubo/+git/mitubo
>
> The repository is imported, but the submodule "qhtmlparser" is not, so I
> get a failure in the recipe which should build the package.
>
> Do I need to switch some configuration flag in order to perform a
> recursive import?

The code import part is intentionally just a git mirror; I don't think
it would be right to initialize submodules at that stage.  The problem
is at the recipe building layer, and it's a known bug:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/git-build-recipe/+bug/1733603

As I noted in the merge proposal attached to that bug, a proper fix is
complicated due to network isolation considerations.  Comment #8 on the
bug has a somewhat cumbersome workaround that you might be able to use,
though.

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                           [cjwatson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]