libravatar-fans team mailing list archive

Re: Today: last IRC meeting before the migration

Hello,

and the last meeting before the migration has finished ...

See the attached full log, if you want to follow the last exchange of thoughts
regarding tomorrow's switch.

I assume, that the next IRC meeting will be in two weeks (3rd of March, 19 UTC).
And then we will see, how we want to organize the future, I guess.

Cheers,
Lars
20:04 <@fmarier> How's it going with the preparations, are you guys all ready to go?
20:04 <clime> hi fmarier
20:04 <ofalk> o/ clime
20:05 <clime> i would say ready
20:05 --> Niklas[m]1 (niposavare@gateway/shell/matrix.org/x-aaqdhvhlsxzzoubr) hat den Channel #libravatar betreten
20:05 <ofalk> code should be ready. clime found some additional occurrence of the wrong name (ivatar) in the code, but the PR has been merged a few minutes ago.
20:05 <ofalk> srv is ready i guess, clime?
20:05 <ofalk> how fast can we get more cores/ram into that machine, clime?
20:06 <Niklas[m]1> hello
20:06 <clime> ofalk: do we need more ram/cores?
20:06 <clime> Niklas[m]1: hey!
20:06 <ofalk> o/ Niklas[m]1
20:06 <Niklas[m]1> I'm nipos.I'm participating using Matrix this time as the other client doesn't want to send my messages
20:06 <ofalk> clime, i don't know. i just want to know if we need more, what the options are :-)
20:07 <ofalk> Niklas[m]1, we don't mind what client - it doesn't seem to make any difference.
20:07 <clime> ofalk: well, we would need to make a new machine, which has more ram etc.
20:07 <Niklas[m]1> I just wanted to make clear who I am as the name is different here ;)
20:07 <clime> i don't think it should be a problem
20:08 <clime> but we would need to do another migration, i don't think you can do this on the fly
20:08 <clime> Niklas[m]1: sure, hey nipos!
20:08 <ofalk> ack, Niklas[m]1 ! thx for clarification!
20:09 <ofalk> clime, ack, i hope it will be sufficient for the moment.
20:09 <clime> well 8GB, 4 cores should be :)
20:10 <Niklas[m]1> Yeah,I think that should be enough for now
20:10 <@fmarier> wow, that's a much beefier machine than we've ever had (on the old codebase) :)
20:11 <ofalk> fmarier, but it has more to do now. since we're resizing the images on the fly.
20:12 <@fmarier> that's true, you'll have to monitor the load and optimize as needed I guess
20:12 <@fmarier> you'll see how well it holds up once we move the cdn and seccdn CNAMES over to the main server
20:13 <@fmarier> So looking at the plan: https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/server-migration-plan/
20:13 <@fmarier> Prepare DNS
20:13 <@fmarier> was done last week
20:13 <@fmarier> Preparing the new server
20:14  * ofalk is looking
20:14 <@fmarier> is also done I assume?
20:14 <clime> we could also maybe try to cache (lru cache) the results of resizing, we have around around of 180GB of free space
20:14 <@fmarier> Preparing the old server
20:14 <@fmarier> is now done.
20:14 <@fmarier> I will do "Migrating servers" later today.
20:14 <@fmarier> (the first two bullets)
20:15 <@fmarier> and I will also do "Disable mirror sync" later today.
20:15 <ofalk> clime, let's see how the load behaves. i have some ideas about caching already, but wanted to see the current code in live, before i try to optimize stuff.
20:15 <clime> fmarier: ok, cool
20:15 <clime> ofalk i meant
20:15 <@fmarier> When you wake up tomorrow, you should see "We are migrating to a new server. See you soon!" when you try to go to https://www.libravatar.org/
20:16 <clime> ok
20:16 <ofalk> fmarier, good. so from that point in time, i can start the export and move the dump of the data over to the new server, right?
20:16 <@fmarier> Then you can take care of doing the final export on the old server and import on the new server
20:16 <@fmarier> Yes, once you see that static page, it means the app is no longer accessible, so no changes can be made to the DB.
20:17 <ofalk> ack, fmarier. good. so that's what i'm going to do first tomorrow. export the data and move it over and let clime know about it.
20:17 <ofalk> clime, ok?
20:17 <@fmarier> One thing that would be helpful is for everyone involved to keep IRC open while they are available / working on the migration.
20:18 <clime> ofalk: ye, but i'll probably be around 12am CEST if that's ok cause i need to go to bank
20:18 <clime> so that's 11am UTC
20:18 <clime> is that ok or should i rearrange/
20:18 <clime> ?
20:18 <ofalk> ack clime, then i don't have to hurry so much in the morning, good to know!
20:18 <@fmarier> Can clime and ofalk do a quick check that they can log into the old server (grindavik.libravatar.org) and run
20:18 <@fmarier> a command as root?
20:18 <Niklas[m]1> As I already said Monday is bad for me.I can only come back here at evening
20:18 <clime> sure
20:19 <@fmarier> We did it last week, but I want to make sure it's still all good.
20:19 <clime> fmarier: yes, i can
20:19 <@fmarier> Niklas[m]1: you might be around for the final switchover then, depending on your timezone.
20:20 <Niklas[m]1> I hope so.4pm UTC should work for me.If I'm here during the switchover depends on when you do it
20:21 <ofalk> fmarier, runs without issues.
20:22 <Niklas[m]1> Well,I'm not really needed for the migration but as long as I can I'm here to help if needed.
20:22 <ofalk> in regards to IRC) I'll be here all the time - as I'm usually doing. but this time, I'll have more an eye on the channel :-)
20:22 <ofalk> Niklas[m]1, just ping us in IRC when you're around and we'll let you know the current status and if/how you can help!?
20:23 <Niklas[m]1> Ok,I'll do that
20:23 <ofalk> awesome!
20:24 <@fmarier> ok, so I think we're all good to go then. Does anybody have anything else to bring up? Any concerns we should discuss/address now?
20:26 <Niklas[m]1> I think we postponed a few things last time but maybe they're better to talk about when the migration is finished as they're not that important.Specially for the migration there are no concerns from my side.
20:26 <@fmarier> Yeah, I think it would be better to focus just on the migration this weekend.
20:27 <@fmarier> That should be plenty of work already :)
20:28 <ofalk> yes, i guess there will be some issues after the migration that I have to address. As soon as the major pain points are fixed then, i guess we can concentrate on additional stuff.
20:28 <ofalk> features/enhancements.
20:28 <ofalk> anyone having any pain points now? if yes, speak up :-)
20:29 <clime> i am quite ok, sitting comfortably in my chair
20:30 <ofalk> lol, clime
20:30 <clime> i'll be around at 11am UTC tomorrow, i hope it's enough
20:30 <clime> i'll check the status with ofalk
20:30 <clime> and redeploy the machine to be ready for www.libravatar.org hostname
20:32 <ofalk> perfect!
20:32 <ofalk> so, everything seems to say: GO
20:32 <@fmarier> sounds good then
20:32 <@fmarier> thanks everyone for coming for one last check-in before the big day!
20:33 <clime> thanks too
20:33 <clime> cya tommorw
20:33 <clime> *tomorrow
20:34 <ofalk> thanks from my side!
20:34 <ofalk> many thanks for your support fmarier !!! we'll keep this project alive!
20:35 <clime> yup
20:35 <Niklas[m]1> Thanks from me too for keeping this great project active