libravatar-fans team mailing list archive

Mail setup: DKIM signatures

Hello,

in addition to the MX change, we also generated a DKIM key for the
libravatar.org mail domain. I added the corresponding DNS entry to the
domain (see `dig +short TXT mail._domainkey.libravatar.org`).
For now it will only be used for mails emitted by our mail server (i.e. for
almost no mails at all).
But maybe we want to use DKIM for our mailgun-based email submission, too?

According to the only DKIM-related blog entry for mailgun, it looks like an
upload of an existing key may not be possible?
 https://www.mailgun.com/blog/understanding-dkim-how-it-works/
(only the export of the public key seems to be supported)

Maybe someone wants to verify, whether there is a DKIM key upload feature in
the mailgun settings for the domain?

If the upload of an existing private key to mailgun is not possible, then I
would suggest, that we generate a DKIM key via mailgun and discard the key,
that we just started to use in the MX.

A split setup (only a subset of mails being DKIM-signed) should not be a
problem: the unsigned mails just do not receive the trust boost provided by a
valid DKIM signature.

Cheers,
Lars

Follow ups