libreoffice team mailing list archive

LibreOffice in Ubuntu Triage Upstream Policy Inquiry

Hello everyone. I wanted to inquire on the current LibreOffice in Ubuntu triage upstream policy.

In past triaging efforts, I have been testing for bugs in the latest release available in Ubuntu. Due to how LibreOffice in Ubuntu differs very little from upstream, I then referred Triaged bug reports upstream.

However, room for improvment in triaging seems available. For example, in Linux (Ubuntu) a triager will not advise the reporter to send it upstream until the mainline kernel is tested. This accomplishes many goals. First, it tests to make sure that a Ubuntu patch did not cause the problem. Second, it gives the Ubuntu developer more data points as the mainline is always a higher release version then that available in the Ubuntu repository. Third, it opens the bug up further to upstream developers. Fourth, it better pleases upstream developers who want it tested in the newest release of their kernel, not Ubuntu's.

So, the following article:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOfficeBugWrangling#How_to_Forward_Bugs_Upstream

could be improved by mentioning how one should test in the newest release available from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/ . However, a cautionary advisory would want to be provided, noting one should fully remove all libreoffice (Ubuntu) components and any universe (ex. lo-menubar) and 3rd party extensions, or it could spoil the test. Of course, since this is userspace, triagers have more of an opportunity to test for the problem then with the kernel, which tends to be highly hardware dependent.

What do you think?

--
Christopher M. Penalver
E-Mail: christopher.penalver@xxxxxxx

This E-Mail was sent via a laptop using Xubuntu, Linux for human beings.
www.xubuntu.org
http://www.launchpad.net/~penalvch
Acer Aspire 5750-9668 Xubuntu 12.04

Follow ups