lightspark-users team mailing list archive

Re: Fwd: Re: Issue 108962 in chromium: Wrongly warns about "Flash plugin" being out-of-date, when it's lightspark, not Adobe's

On 3 January 2012 14:49, Didier Raboud <odyx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sparkers: What is the reason behind lightspark mimicking the "Shockwave Flash"
> identifier ? What would break if Lightspark would announce itself "Lightspark
> Flash player" instead? Then it would "just" be a matter of filing bugs against
> the mis-behaving browsers, right?

Websites check the 'Shockwave Flash' identifier and version number to
decide which flash files to serve up - one example is BBC iPlayer,
which doesn't serve files to Gnash:

http://retout.co.uk/blog/2010/07/19/gnash-and-bbc-glow
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnash-dev/2010-07/msg00061.html

Gnash won't fix this because YouTube uses the same description to
serve up an AVM1 flash file.  In my not-so-humble opinion, lightspark
should try to avoid similar situations.

So, if Chromium wants to detect lightspark, another way might be to
look for the 'x-lightspark' mime type being supported?

Kind regards,

--
Tim Retout <diocles@xxxxxxxxxx>