linaro-release team mailing list archive

Re: linaro-release's memberships and public ml archive

Hi,

On 8 September 2011 10:30, Loïc Minier <lool@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>        Hi
>
>  This bug (actual bug doesn't matter) was reported as private:
>    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lava-scheduler-tool/+bug/842524
>  but was immediately visible on the public list archives:
>    https://lists.launchpad.net/linaro-release/msg00653.html
>
>  While we rarely have private bugs, this seems very wrong and could put
>  us in trouble for Landing Team bugs or if we have to handle real
>  security bugs or other private bugs in the future.
>

>  First, I wondered whether Launchpad had a borken privacy model here; I
>  started discussion with Launchpad folks [1] and it's not a likely path
>  of resolution (since any LP id could be pointing at a non-LP public
>  list, LP can't grasp all these cases; we should be careful which LP ids
>  are getting in the loop of private bugs and where these are
>  distributing the traffic).
>
>  Next, the ~linaro-release subscription was surprizing; I thought this
>  was an important bug that ~linaro-release specially cared about, or
>  perhaps ~linaro-release got in the loop due to some "security contact"
>  escalation, but in fact it's simply that ~linaro-release is a member of
>  ~linaro-validation:
>    https://launchpad.net/~linaro-release/+participation

We asked recently to have ~linaro-release member of ~linaro-validation
and ~linaro-infrastructure-drivers.

>  This is wrong; let's revisit the reasons it's a member and find another
>  way, or let's use two teams, one for the ML and one for the other
>  reasons.

The reason is to get the release team to have sufficient permissions
to triage bugs and tweak the series/milestones when we need to. For
background history, see also
https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/768352

The side effect is that we receive noise on the ML now (merge request,
unwanted bugs).

>  Fathi, Joey: would you know why ~linaro-release has a ML? and why does
>  it have these memberships?  Worst case, if LP allows it, we can switch
>  to a private ML archive.

The main purpose of the ML is to track RC bugs and release notes known
issues by subscribing the release team explicitely.
It's part of escalation process: https://wiki.linaro.org/Cycles/BugManagement