linuxmint-community-repository-project team mailing list archive

Fwd: Hello to everyone and anyone

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: doug <dhargraft@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 11:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Linuxmint-community-repository-project] Hello to everyone and
anyone
To: Dave <psych1610@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey Dave.
I'm also new at this. The only .deb packages I've done myself are Wine,
every two weeks. After the ./configure and make, using checkinstall instead
of make install creates the .deb wine package and then installs it.

However, I'm "retired" (actually, disability pension; I'm decades away from
retirement age) so I have lots of time to learn & contribute. In the good
ol' DOS days I programed databases using Clipper, which was very popular in
the late '80s and early '90s but never made the transition to Windows. So
although I'm new to modern programming languages, the basic structure is the
same. I also dabbled in C, and have a new(ish) textbook on Python.

So, tell me where to start & I will learn and get there.

Two apps I want, are a utility to reinstall grub (that I badly miss from
Mepis) and an update to fsck. the latter being used in most distros is
somewhere around v.1.4.x but if you look at the homepage is up to v3.5 or so
(but I can't even find the homepage right now).

But I'll work on anything needed.

Looking forward to getting this show going!!
Doug.
(locutus on the Mint forums, but I'll stick with my real name here)