linuxpadawan team mailing list archive

Re: Requesting Mentoring for Linux System Administration

Svetlana,

On 01/06/2016 11:05 AM, Svetlana Belkin wrote:
> All,
>
> I, Svetlana Belkin (A.K.A belkinsa), am planning to get the
> certification for Linux System Administration in order to have a better
> chance of getting an job/career that I like (the BS in biology is giving
> me nothing yet, plus I am not as passionate for biology).  Having that
> said that, I am seeking a mentor that can guide me in finding the right
> information and through learning the subject.  I guess that I need to
> pick which Linux sever I should learn on and I was thinking about Ubuntu
> since I am already using the desktop.  If this is a good pick, then I
> think I have narrowed down which mentor could mentor me to Jason O. (who
> is in the same time zone as me, UTC -5; ET) or Thomas Ward (who's time
> zone is unknown to me).  But if this a bad choice, then any other system
> admin mentors can help me.
>
> Thank you.

You say "the certification for Linux System Administration" but do not
state *which* certification that is.  I took the LPIC-1 exam, and the
best training resources I found there were in fact produced BY LPI.

Without knowing which examination you are working on, it'll be that much
harder to point you in the right direction.  (Having said this, the
LPIC-1 requires both RHEL/CentOS and Debian based environments, so you
will have to use both, likely, not just one or the other).

Thomas