lp-l10n-ug team mailing list archive

Firefox translations

Hi folks,

Sorry for the group email but if I write individual ones, this might take a week :) I'm emailing you because you have or are active in translating Firefox or similar OpenSource projects into certain languages.

My name is Michael and I am one of the translators working on Firefox for my language (Scottish Gaelic, in case the signature below is making you tie your tongue in knots) via the Locamotion Pootle server Mozilla these days works with. As part of that I do a bit of outreach work and while looking into something the other week, I discovered a lot of really old translations that were done on Launchpad for Firefox 3 or 4 but never got anywhere as Launchpad, sadly, is the wrong place for Mozilla stuff.

After talking to the Locamotion admins, we agreed to try and rescue these, which we have done. We have matched the old translations against the latest templates and whatever was in the old translations has been imported as fuzzy matches (which means they all need approving, partly because of the way the pretranslate feature works and partly for reasons of quality control, some of the translations on Launchpad looked a bit fishy, some had lots of English and in most cases, we don't know enough of the language).

For some languages, the fuzzy matches cover as much as 50-60% of the most recent version, in other cases less.

So we were wondering if you were interested in taking up Firefox for your language again (or know someone who is) to finally bring it to release? The good thing about the way Locamotion works is that while you have the total liberty of doing it the (rather complicated) Mozilla way via mercurial and whatnot, if you just want to translate that's fine too and the Locamotion team will deal with the technical bits regaring Mozilla and creating a release. Note also that Locamotion has given the files some structure, i.e. not all are equally important and there are some now which are optional (like the developer strings) which means if you focus on the vital parts, you can normall head for release from 70% onwards or so.

The languages in question are:
Chuvash
Cornish
Crimean Tatar
Faroese
Piemontese
Sorani
Uighur
Venetian

The Pootle server is here http://mozilla.locamotion.org/ where you can have a look. So if you're interested or have question, let me know?

leis na dùrachdan,

Michael

--
*Akerbeltz <http://www.faclair.com/>*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon

*Tha Gàidhlig aig a' choimpiutair agad, siuthad, feuch e!*
Iomadh rud eadar prògraman oifis, brabhsairean, predictive texting,
geamannan is mòran a bharrachd. Tadhail oirnn aig www.iGàidhlig.net <http://www.iGaidhlig.net/>