lubuntu-brainstorming team mailing list archive

[Blueprint centralized-control-panel] Include a centralized control panel by default

Blueprint changed by Ivan Bulychev:

Whiteboard changed:
  I agree. This will make it much more easier for Windows XP users and
  make the migration process as easy and fast as possible.

  Good idea :)

  amjjawad

  ---

  [Pierre Gobin] I would really like this feature too. Nevertheless, when I proposed this idea some time ago, Julien told me that he wasn't against it, but he didn't find it usefull if it was not a unified application, and if it only gathered links to other apps (as Lubuntu Control Center did).
  ---
  [Dipanjan Patra]
  I think the gnome-control-centre will be a good choice.
+ ---
+
+ [vanyok]
+ I absolutely support this proposal, and even more, I believe this should be the key development feature for the Lubuntu Trusty. I was thinking about it the whole last night...
+ As per Leszek's description it's "A central Gui for setting up Lubuntu using mostly the build in tools + LXProxy" (https://launchpad.net/lubuntu-control-center)
+
+ I personnaly like the idea even if it's not a standalone application yet. LCC (Lubuntu Control Center) can be used as a one point entry for all the settings, while all the other apps should be hidden from the menu.
+ As time goes on the LCC probably should develop into that standalone application, so that links to other tools (hidden in the menu but available via LCC) will be replaced by LCC functionality.
+
+ Step by step:
+ 1. Add LCC to the system and hide other connected tools from the menu.
+ 2. Develop own configuration tools within LCC to replace legacy ones.
+ 3. Remove obsolete "modules"/tools from the system once replaced by LCC functionality.
+ 4. Develop new own config tools and integrate them into LCC.
+
+ In this approach LCC should be flexible and module-based application which first just contains links, and afterwards adds its own functions.
+ ---

--
Include a centralized control panel by default
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/lubuntu-brainstorming/+spec/centralized-control-panel