lubuntu-brainstorming team mailing list archive

[Blueprint sound-mixer] Include a graphical sound mixer by default

Blueprint changed by Mélodie:

Whiteboard changed:
  Option #1: amixer; needed to open a terminal, not suitable for a newbie / lazzy
  Option #2: pavucontrol (depending on libpulse libraries); can put one-click handy icon on panel
  I support pavucontrol, and I think it needs the whole pulse-audio kit, but if that is not an option, you need to find something else /nio

  Pavucontrol does require the pulse-audio kit, but I believe it is quite worth it (unless there is a performance hit I don't know of). A mucher better volume manager then any others.
  --Baron

  [amjjawad] +1
  and, this must be fixed: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/832939/volumecontrol.ogv

  [Srikanth - India]
  In simple words, every user would like to see easy to use VOlume controller as in Windows(or ubuntu)...with Sliders....To be honest, alsa mixer is not so user friendly :(...

  [vanyok] I support this initiative. Current sound mixer is too simple
  and lacks of functionality, and alsa mixer is too difficult for newbies
  to use.

  [Baron]@Amjjawad, for the default volume applet, you have to have
  pavucontrol install for it to work (as far as I know). As for indicator-
  volume, I don't think that is fixable really. It direcly calls gnome-
  volume-manager. The only thing that could be done is ln -s pavucontrol
  gnome-volume-manager, ect.

  [rafaellaguna] If you have the opportunity to see the Mate's mixer, it's
  great. it's a different version of alsa - mixer very simple. We could
  fork it ;)

  [Mélodie] Hi, I agree about alsamixer not easy to use for newcomers.

  But while trying other mixers in Lubuntu I could not find how to change alsamixer for another mixer, so I I purely removed the volume control plugin from the panel and replaced it with volumeicon-alsa which I configured to be started with the session and first configured it to use alsamixergui:
  it's a very light alternative to alsamixer, and if you still don't find it having a look which is consistent enough, gnome-alsamixer is what I currently use, which I would suggest. However the cons is it is much bigger on the disk space compared to alsamixergui because of the depends: 8687 additional kilobytes are installed. (alsamixergui: 115 kb)

  Here are two pics to get the idea:
  http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/Lubuntu/ScreenShots/volume-control_alsamixer-gui.png

  http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/Lubuntu/ScreenShots/volume-control_gnome-
  alsamixer.png

  alsamixer-gui is what I installed to my child's notebook where I seek
  lightness and ease at same time.

  I would not vote for pavu control which I found very difficult to handle
  when I need to switch from loudspeakers to headset and vice versa, I
  always had a hard time having the sound work again in the output. (When
  trying to use it with pulse-audio).

  [joern-schoenyan] Volti is really nice and quite light. https://code.google.com/p/volti/
  But: it is GTK, and we should think about the future with Qt. Not easy!

  [Mélodie]  Volti has several python packages as depends:
  ****
  Dependencies
      pygtk 2.16.0 or later
      pyalsaaudio 0.6 or later
      dbus-python 0.80.0 or later
      python-xlib 0.15rc1 or later (optional, used for keys events as an alternative to hal)

  ****

  and volumeicon-alsa has depends which are already in the distro, if I get it well from that list:
  http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/volumeicon-alsa

  [Baron] I have tried volumeicon-alsa and Volti. Volti doesn't detect my
  other sounds cards, and only works with the default soundcard, so
  useless to me (much like the default applet/mixer). Volumeicon-alsa
  works nice however. Not as nice as indicator-volume, but nice. Still
  need pavucontrol just like indicator-volume though.
+
+ [Mélodie] it does not need "specifically" pavucontrol: the setup is done in the preferences to replace the default alsamixer with any mixer, such as "pavucontrol", or "alsamixer-gui", or "gnome-mixer", as per  the pics I already pointed to:
+ http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/Lubuntu/ScreenShots/volume-control_alsamixer-gui.png
+
+ http://meets.free.fr/Downloads/Lubuntu/ScreenShots/volume-control_gnome-
+ alsamixer.png
+
+ If pulseaudio is not installed, not to be used, then anything else than
+ pavucontrol can be used.

--
Include a graphical sound mixer by default
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/lubuntu-brainstorming/+spec/sound-mixer