Re: Lubuntu project questions - seeds

The solution to bandwidth issues in my opinion is NOT to make something
like, for example, Open Office, a part of the seed for Lubuntu spin and
install, but rather something that can be placed on a CD, if a full size
CD media is put together and burned, and optionally installed then
without needing to go remote.  The goal for a default "install" of
Lubuntu I feel strongly should be close to 64M ram/256m disk.  This also
allows for a normal Lubuntu iso image to be on much smaller CD form
factor if so desired.  This is not just about obsolete hardware; there
are new devices being made and sold that would benefit as well.

Hence, at least to me, the question of what should be on a Lubuntu seed,
which I think must be small, and what can be optionally distributed
alongside on full sized media, are entirely different questions.

John Thng wrote:

> We have discussed the problems as before.
> There are mentions previously that people in third world countries are
> living with limited internet bandwidth unlike people in developed
> countries with large or unlimited internet bandwidth.
>
> Thus, it'll be good if the distro bundled usable applications inside
> instead of the people finding ways on how to download the applications in.
>
> There should be a compromise point. It is possible to make the spec as
> low as possible, but does it surf the purpose of usability over normal
> people or the distro is purely for geeks to use.
>
> As for my point of view, it should be light but at the same time,
> usability is important, thus making it a bit different. We don't want
> people in low internet bandwidth hunting for bandwidth to load usable
> daily applications.
>
> There's a need for compromising. We can't restrict too much till it's a
> geek distro which does not care about the usability. I know there are
> distros putting lightweight apps, but does it solve the usability
> problem with lightweight.
>
> I'm not sure what the big picture is, but lubuntu should be for
> everyone, young till old, developed or developing countries, and not too
> restrictive to make it hard and user friendly to use too.
>
> It's pretty sad that some applications are bloated, but do we have the
> choice not to use them, but even if we do have the choice, will the
> usability of the distro be affected much.
>
> Some might believe that Lubuntu will be the solution for people living
> in developing countries with no/limited bandwidth. Some believe Lubuntu
> should run on old computers in developed countries.
>
> But I would choose for usable Lubuntu that benefits more people with
> no/limited bandwidth than keeping people with old computers or geeks happy.
>
> For people with old computers or those lightweight geeks, I think other
> distro might surf better for the purpose.
>
> And last time during discussion, OpenOffice.org is chosen is because
> compatibility issues and also presentation program. In addition, I do
> think OpenOffice.org would surf as a need to bridge those in developing
> countries to the world.
>
> Regards
> John Thng

begin:vcard