Re: Lubuntu project questions - again

2009/7/23 Sylkis <sylkis@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I'd love to see lubuntu with xbmc or out-of-the-box app package (like just
> pre-installed rhythmbox and gxine) as a powerful work'n'media (for home
> office and cheapest HDTV) station that runs with speed of light on platforms
> like ION or weaker (like just old computers).

That's an interesting suggestion, but it seems to me to be something
rather different than a lightweight distro for an Internet desktop PC,
no?

> Personally I live in Poland and as a representative of middle-class I have a
> good PC (c2d, etc) but even xubuntu was slower that windows xp on my
> machine.

There must be something wrong with your machine, then. Full Ubuntu is
very fast - quicker than Windows XP, in my experience - on any
reasonably well-specified computer. Given a 1GHz+ CPU and 512MB of
RAM, Ubuntu is quick, let alone Xubuntu.

> that is why i look foward up to test lubuntu, temporaily using just
> basic ubuntu installation + lxde (unfortunatelly with a lot of gnome
> garbage)...

That only wastes disk space; it should not significantly slow down your PC.

Email: lproven@xxxxxxxxx • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@xxxxxxxxx
MSN: lproven@xxxxxxxxxxx • ICQ: 73187508