Re: Lubuntu project questions - again

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What do you mean by "usability"? Do you feel that a distro with a
> lightweight desktop such as IceWM would be less usable?

That means much of the default applications are there, there's no need for
users to know further or to download and install further.

> Well, if you want a distro for everyone, then Ubuntu itself is that.
> If you have ideas on how to improve Ubuntu, then the Lubuntu project
> is not the place to discuss them.

We also do not want Lubuntu project to become a project for geeks and the
technical experience only. Who should use Lubuntu? Who benefit from Lubuntu?
And yes, we would create Lubuntu for geeks only, but will this benefit all?
Or only geeks only?

> If LXDE is meant to be a lightweight desktop for low-end kit, then it
> seems to me that a lightweight distro is one answer that suggests
> itself.

Lightweight Distro yes, but if lightweight distro sacrifice lots of the
requirements of users who use it and users don't like the technical aspects
of it, it does not serve the purpose of creating super lightweight distro.

> Personally, I see no point in using tools like OpenOffice, good as
> they may be, if they rule out or eliminate a significant proportion of
> would-be users whose machines are too low-spec to run OO.o.

I wonder how much significant proportion of the would-be users as compared
to the much more significant proportion of would-be users who will be
sacrificing because of the lack OO.o. It'll be good if there's good report
on the proportion.

> What's the difference here? What do you see as being the trade-offs?

The difference is almost not user-friendly distro, that might not be what
the non-technical user will want it. We should look at the thoughts of
non-technical user rather than the thoughts of experienced users.

I am not aware of any. That is my point. Are you? Please tell me what they
> are!

Like Puppy distro, Damn Small Linux, Arch, Zen and others ...
If you don't like puppy distro, the apps are one of lightness and usable as
low as it goes. It obvious does not suit the mass, but fortunately there are
many forks around it.

>  It is not a helpful bridge if only those with powerful computers may cross
> it

 But not too powerful computers can run it as well. I forgot to mention even
the obsoleted Eee 701 runs OO.o as well.

I'm not saying we should kill off the low-spec range, but in order for
usability, higher spec might be required.

Nowadays, open source browser with flash, could easily hit the low spec hard

Just last question, will Lubuntu going to benefit the mass, or only the
benefit the few.
And what does the mass want if Lubuntu is going to benefit the mass?

And last thing, there's no way you can use Lubuntu out of the box, for
64/256m.
And I did mention we should create both the pure core and the normal one for
the mass.
There are people who do meta-packages or so. But if I'm not wrong, there
ain't much human resources for this and that atm ya?

Regards
John Thng