Re: Lubuntu thoughts

2010/2/13 Leszek Lesner <leszek.lesner@xxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> As I now have some time off. I thought about some of the concepts of Lubuntu Lucid.
> One that keeps bothering me somehow (as a programmer) is that we only included tools that are already avaiable for all the other distributions and aren't very Lubuntu specific.
> I don't know if its the policy here to create just another LXDE distribution or if we intend to create a fantastic distribution. (hmm... maybe a 'User Needs' page would be nice to have in the wiki, with goals we want to achieve or going to work on)
> IMHO we need custom optimized Lubuntu tools to make Lubuntu as near as perfect as we can.
>
> Another topic:
> As I am a student and I had the chance to take a testdrive on a brandnew eyetracking system I tested some (short had only 30 min time to test) visual concepts of the LXDE / Lubuntu Desktop(Alpha 2, Preview 2) and figured out the following.
> First of all functionality:
> 1. Test:  "Change your background"
> Result: The student (obviously had experience with windows) right clicked the desktop and found the desktop settings item and clicked on it. A new preference window appeared telling him something about Interfaces. He was confused and thought he made something wrong and closed the window.
> Now he started searching in the menu and immediately found the Preferences submenu. He clicked on Appearance.
> The Appearence Preference Panel opened up. He stared a few seconds on it and searched a tab or way how he can change the wallpaper. After 3 minutes he gave up. I gave him the notice to try looking at the first tool he opened up a little bit more. He closed the app -> right click on the desktop -> Desktop Settings.
> Then after a few seconds of searching (eyetracking showed the 'scanning of the GUI' and focusing on the tab bar) he found the desktop tab and a few seconds later he was able to set a new wallpaper.
>
> 2. Test: "Insert a USB Stick (Pendrive) and open up a mp3 file"
> Result: The student inserted the usb stick and was waiting and staring on the desktop. After about 40 seconds (noting happened) he looked at the usb stick if the led was on and its running. Then he started to look in the menu under "System Tools". He didn't find what he was searching for. He moved up to the Accessories submenu and didn't find what he was looking for either. Then he started searching in the other submenus(one by one). He closed the menu. I gave him the advice to try opening up the filemanager. He went to the menu and did go to the System Tools submenu. He clicked on the PCManFM Filemanager link. (Took him a few seconds though to realize that PCManFM was the filemanager). The filemanager window opened up.
> [...]

well, as I apply to almost everything you said, I just can't disagree
more about the least important for now - aesthetical matter. imo the
LXDE black taskbar is THE BEST LOOKING taskbar out-of-the-box I've
ever seen, whats more - I can't imagine how to make it look better.
it's perfect in my opinion :) but that's a matter of taste. I just
feel like throwing up when seeing bright, bland colours, esecially
when looking on a CRT monitor (it physically hurt eyes, when the
refresh rate is low), instead of strong, lively, dark colours. and
remember - its meant for the old hardware :) and I belive that is no
coincidence that most people change bright taskbars for dark ones even
when customising widnows XP with UTXtheme-patch.

another thing is that the filemanager launching icon could be named
differently - but there's more, if talk about the "'90 design". that's
a srtictly LXDE thing, but you can't make desktop "clear" - if you
make "that last" icon disappear, the wallpaper disappears too. That's
a little thing, but annoying.

what's more - personally, I always customize the interface in the way
that it has two bars - but not gnome-like, more like typical
windows-like taskbar in the top of the screen, with quicklaunch bar
dragged into the bottom of screen, that has a set of most needed
launchers (customiseable), both never covered by windows.
but again, that my personal preference, still maybe someone would like
the idea and make it default configuration of lubuntu. I belive every
new user would quickly figure out how t use it, as I find it very
intuitive and user-frienly.