Re: [Lxde-list] about lubuntu...

> <alfonsosebaq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi! Is this the correct list to ask about lubuntu? My question is that I
> > installed lubuntu-desktop on a 9.10 ubuntu, really fast, really nice. :-)
> >
> > The point is wicd.. I didn't know about it, and it comes with
> > lubuntu-desktop. Is really usefull and I like it, and I use only wired
> > connection (people say it's amazing in wireless)
> > My question is I heard that lubuntu 10.04 is going to change wicd for
> > network manager (default gnome connection manager). Why this change? :(
> > thanks

Reasons when we change it in the seed :

=== network-manager instead of wicd ===
This was not planned at the first time, but there are the reasons : new
version of wicd (1.7.0) use 2 instances, and this double the among of
memory it used. Also, there is some reports that wireless is not
supported in some cases.
Network-manager is not perfect, but the support is quite good, and we
can share the maintenance with other teams. Also, memory usage is not
that bad, but it's definitely better than wicd.

To be short :
- Better support (upstream and in Ubuntu)
- More features
- less memory usage

Of course, it may not work for you, but it may be the opposite for
somebody else. No programs is perfect.