Re: [Lxde-list] Change of strings is required to fix pcmanfm/libfm bug: #2979567

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 21:18:33 +0100, Nikolas Poniros <edhunter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

for what its worth I find the term "trash can" more suitable :)

cheers
Nikolas
PCMan wrote:
Hello,
The good news is I just fixed the selection problem in detailed list
view induced by new bug in gtk+ 2.18+ with simple workarounds so now
it works.
The bad one is some changes of strings is required to fix bug #2979567.

Sorry for the inconvenience for all of the translators, but this is
required since moving files to trash bin on remote filesystem is not
supported by gvfs. When a user does this, the files will be deleted
directly rather than being moved to trash bin. So a prompt telling the
user their files will be deleted directly is definitely needed.

Without this fix, files on remote filesystems cannot be deleted if
trash bin support is turned on and this is a severe usability bug. So
I'm requesting a string change here.

Another issue raised by brother is the terms "trash can" and "trash
bin". Those two terms are used interchangeably in libfm and pcmanfm.
However, only one of them should be used throughout the whole program
for better consistency. So I'm going to fix this, too. For native
English speakers, which term is more suitable?

Marty Jack, help from you is needed since you seem to be the only
native English speaker in our development team.

Thank you all and sorry for the inconvenience.

As was pointed out in another thread it just has to be consistent really, trash can seems to be most commonly used in the USA. I’ll just translate it to Rubbish Bin for en_GB, not sure what other English speaking nations use though. Will it cause problems for other languages, does bin/can translate as the same thing.

--
Steve (Yorvyk)
http://www.lubuntu.net