Re: Modifying files in Lubuntu

You do NOT edit the grub.cfg ile. That file is generated using config files
and scripts. You can edit the file but next time:
sudo update-grub
is ran the changes will be completely lost.

LXDE is a GTK based DE so 'gksudo leafpad' is what you  will need (you can
install gedit if you like but leafpad is a lot leaner and default in LXDE.

If you want your changes to grub.cfg to stick you must either:
1. *Never* upgrade the kernel  OR
2. Edit Grub2 the correct way so that grub updates get applied and your
changes stay

The grub.cfg file is marked as read only (even to root) and the file says
"Do not edit this file" for a reason. I suggest you read:
https://help.*ubuntu*.com/community/*Grub2*
*
*
*