Re: Installing Lubuntu to usb drives

On Saturday 08,May,2010 04:53 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
I've come across many instances (mainly Ubuntu) of people installing the OS to the usb and they are actually running the livecd OS. There are many guides (like penlinux?) and including unetbootin that will install the livecd at the usb drives.

There is nothing wrong with that, provided people understand it's the livecd that's running and there are ways to help manually installed appplications 'stick' like casper-rw and the adding of 'persistent' in the kernel line. And puppy linux creates a small partition at the hd to aid that.

However, there are obvious disadvantages; the more serious being newer kernels will not be able to be installed and several booting issues as well.

I would highly recommend that should you want Lubuntu be installed to a usb stick, *and it's perfect for that*, install it like a normal installation, just that the partition you install to is the usb partition.

One important thing to watch out is that at the stage where the installer ask where you want the grub to be installed, please specify the usb drive and never the mbr. Take particular care of the designation of that usb drive (sdb, sdc or sdd) before installation and specify that when asked where grub is to be installed. Note there may be a warning message that installing other to mbr 'is a BAD IDEA'. Nevertheless, proceed. (I understand that this message has been removed, but I cannot verify this). It is a 'BADDER IDEA' to install grub to mbr when /boot is not in the hard drive.

To use Lubuntu at the usb drive after installation, at most computers, the keys 'esc', F12', 'F8' will allow you to select the drive to boot up. Older computers may require you to go to bios to do that. Keep that in mind when you take your portable Lubuntu usb drive to other computers.

And at your own desktop computer, update-grub of the desktop OS while the Lubuntu usb drive is mounted will enable the desktop OS grub to include your Lubuntu usb drive in the boot menu.

Of course running Lubuntu from a SATA hard drive is faster as usb transfer speed is slower. But you may be surprised, as I was, how Lubuntu performs. Ubuntu, Kubuntu ,even the netbook remix, crawls due to the 'bulk' it must carry. Puppy linux, DSL linux do not have the 'polish' of good fonts, codecs, graphics and just plain 'usability'.

I brought this up as too many people are installing livecd to the usb drives and I think it's good to set this right especially Lubuntu is just perfect for this.

Also, I will appreciate any comment, feedback or disagreement.

Regards - Goh Lip

Hello Goh Lip,

I was planning on doing this at some stage (I just installed Lubuntu to my laptop in a separate partition and I am reading up on update-grub right now).

I've read that one should NOT allocated a swap space on a USB flash device due to the limited number of re-writes that flash media can support before it degrades. Do you concur with this? Would an "Install to USB" how-to be a useful addition to our wiki?

Regards
David