Re: Lubuntu 10.04 "final" beta: issue with WEP on P1120

I switched back to CrunchBang 9.04, and the wifi is working fine again (as it has all along with several other notebooks I use). I stick with WEP since I still use some older devices like WinCE and 16-bit wifi PC cards that cannot do WPA, and I live in a very low-density area, and can see if any "suspicious" characters are in the neighborhood to be concerned about - the 4 neighbors within range don't have the tech savvy and/or low ethics to hack my WEP, so it keeps out the casual connections that depend on no encryption. I might reconsider that policy if I do away with the old gear completely (or set up 1 older WEP router just for them leaving it off whenever I do not use them ... hmmm ... liking that idea).

I have tried Xubuntu 10.04 on more powerful notebooks, and performance and wifi are ok, but other deficiencies exist vs earlier versions - i.e. they do not come back from suspend reliably, and on one of the notebooks I just found that the file manager and Ristretto cannot drill down into the DCIM directory on a 2GB SD card to find/show the jpg files from a digital camera, but putting the same card into a notebook I reverted to Xubuntu 9.10 showed the files just fine.

It is looking as though 10.04, overall, needs another month or 2 of real-world post-beta debugging, as usual with Ubuntu's hurried up releases. I will check back then ...

Regards,
RO