Re: Replacing Aqualung with Exaile [DISCUSSION]

Glenn,

The mere existence of Lubuntu loses it's purpose if you start bloating it.
Why bother, going through all the trouble of making an environment like LXDE
work with Ubuntu wich it doesn't work as well with as Gnome, if in the end,
there isn't anything to distinguish it but the labeling?

I am sure your comments about quantity of dependencies transcends across the
OS, and is not limited to just the music player.  We are probably all hoping
for a better "knoppix", with Lubuntu: auto-detection, codecs, speed, light
weight, to name a few.

You start making these kind of decisions here, there, everywhere, and before
you know it, your distro is double the bloat and half the speed.

Some of these recommendations may better serve the main edition of Ubuntu
and Mint.  But when you are looking at making small and fast, you may have
to make some trade-offs.

Proposed Solution: one thing you may want to do, is build it with the
faster, more efficient tools.  Users can always use Synaptic to install
whatever they prefer - those will be the users with the 160GB+ hard drives
and who really don't care about disk space.  And the ones with more compact
resources, like a Netbook with a solid state hard drive, those with older
laptops, will all be grateful that the bloat is out and Lubuntu is as fast
small and efficient as it can possibly be.