Re: print problem

I'm not sure, but I was like you  when Lucid arrived. I have a Brother
multifunction. Since the removing of HAL the drivers were unable to find
correctly the printer, and the solution came directly from Brother.
Check it out if Canon has released a new set of drivers, and I mean a
DEB package, and notes recommending modifying some files. In my case I
needed to edit

/lib/udev/rules.d/40-libsane.rules

...and put this:

# Brother scanners
ATTRS{idVendor}=="04f9", ENV{libsane_matched}="yes"

Now, "90-local.rules" is no longer a valid file to point USB
multifunction devices, and I don't know why.

Of course, this text is valid for Brother and OKI printer scanners.
Yours may be different, and sure you've checked this.