'Ask me' option in power management preferences doesn't not open the logout dialog

Although the problem seems to be tied with gnome-power-manager, I'll post
here since it is used as the default power manager.

The default option for 'Action when power button is pressed' is 'Ask me',
which usually brings out the logout dialog of GNOME desktop.
However, this option does not do anything in Lubuntu - the LXDE logout
dialog does not appear.

The other options, such as hibernate, suspend and shutdown, work as they
should, so I don't think the problem lies with the kernel or the power
button.

Follow ups