Chromium and piglet.

Hi,

Good news and bad news....

As in the time honoured fashion, I'll do the bad news first.

My hard disk on piglet is dying, quite rapidly. I have all my backups etc,
but transferring all my various partitions on to a replacement hard drive is
going to take a little while. I'm planning to kick it all off Thursday 22 at
about 10:00 UTC, so will be a little 'tied up'.

The even worse news ...

I'll be back !!!

And now the good news....

for those who are sane, have better things to do etc. and are not on the
Lubuntu desktop bugs mailing list, this one popped by a little earlier ..

While evaluating boot charts (on armel) I just noticed that starting

chromium entails a two second I/O block where it calls lsb_release

twice. lsb_release is an utterly heavy program, since it invokes Python.

If I eliminate this and hardcode DISTRO and RELEASE, I can halve the

startup time from 2.2 s to just over a second.

As that is on a 'decent' computer, it could make quite a difference to the
less powerful ones. I'm very happy to say that it took only about three
hours to be addressed and ..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/608253

I echo the thanks for the speed at which Fabian at the Chromium team pushed
the resolution out. If you'd like to get a hold of it to see the difference
it makes, give it 24 hours to hit the daily build and add the daily ppa [1]
I'm pretty sure it will be "confirmed works". Do feel free to say so on the
bug report, for both 10.04 lubuntu and 10.10 :-)

[1]    sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com4E5E17B5
         sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chromium-daily