Re: Deadbeef in Lubuntu PPA

I decided to dig a bit more on this, mostly to close the discussion :)

As the direct performance is the same for the 3 players, I made a review
adding some others features and important informations :

== Performance, using top ==

On a 2 Ghz, 6Gb RAM, 64 bits configuration

VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
754m  29m  18m S    3  0.5   0:01.32 audacious
680m  26m  16m S    3  0.4   0:01.56 deadbeef-main
584m  36m  22m S    3  0.6   0:01.60 aqualung

On a EEEPC 701 (1Ghz, 512 Mb RAM, 32 bits)

VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
176m  27m  13m S 23.5  5.6   0:23.65 aqualung
163m  16m  11m S 21.1  3.3   0:04.07 audacious2
184m  22m  12m S 23.8  4.6   0:04.27 deadbeef-main

==> Not a big difference, audacious a little (but really little) better

== Big playlist loading ==

Trying to load a big collection of music on my big configuration :

Audacious : Fast (a few seconds)
Deadbeef : Slow (many seconds)
Aqualung : No options available to load subdirectory

== Maintained Upstream ? ==

Is Upstream active :

Audacious : Yes (stable, less development)
Aqualung : Yes (stable, slow development)
Deadbeef : Yes (young, development very active)

== Maintained in Debian / Ubuntu ? ==

Is it maintained on Ubuntu / Debian by someone else (it's a good point
in my POV) ?

Audacious : Yes (by the Multimedia teams)
Aqualung : Yes, but not on any team.
Deadbeef : No

== Skin / Themable ==

Is it easy to add a custom theme ?

Audacious : Yes
Aqualung : Yes (but difficult)
Deadbeef : No

== Keybinding ==

Is it able to use key-bindings ?

Audacious Yes (with a plugin)
Deadbeef No (or doesn't work)
Aqualung No

== Notifications ==

Is it using the notifications specs (notification-daemon or
notify-osd) ?

Deadbeef Yes (with a plugin)
Aqualung No
Audacious No

Conclusion : Regarding the direct performance, there is not a big
difference. But IMO Audacious have several advantages over the 2
others :
- More mature + more maintenance on the Debian / Ubuntu side + probably
more users
- Skinnable (which should please Rafael ;-))
- Key-binbings

We have until Wednesday to think about it.