Re: Removing abiword in Synaptic removes "lubuntu-desktop"

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:24:41 +0000
Phill Whiteside <phillw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hiyas Jean-Pierre,
>
> It is unfortunately a side issue of us using no-install recommends. I do
> agree that it is scary for a newcomer. The answer is on the help area. I'm
> not sure if the developers could alter the build so it does not occur, as if
> they do not use that option lubuntu would become bloated. It is a catch 22
> situation.
>
> Julien, would it be possible to include that fact in the intro screen-shots
> during an install, so newcomers are aware of it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill.
>

> On 29 December 2010 18:11, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
> > It would be nice if no message came at all, a few weeks ago i wanted
> > to remove something and that message came and i scared a lot.
> > For newbies and for a lot of people it's just something that they
> > won't understand and they'll leave it like that. Plus, if it's not
> > necessary it shouldn't even be there.
> > I propose that for Natty, the "remove lubuntu-desktop" is removed, if
> > possible of course!

lubuntu-desktop is basically a file that lists the programs that come as standard with lubuntu, known as a meta file.  It's variants (ubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, ubuntustudio-desktop, etc, etc) exist on all ubuntu  distros and no doubt variants exist on other linux distros.  It's use, and the problems associated with it's removal, are well documented and have been for five years now.  I really don't think any more documentation about it is really necessary.  Not having a message that it, or any other file, is going to be removed is not a good idea either.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net