No sound output to HDMI

Does anyone know how to output sound through HDMI in Lubuntu?

I've done it a couple of times with Ubuntu in the past, but couldn't find
anything that would allow me to do it in Lubuntu.  There is nowhere to
adjust sound preferences that I could see.  I tried alsamixer, but didn't
see anything that would do the job.   I understand that Lubuntu is supposed
to be lightweight, but this is  a feature I would expect to find in all
modern OS.  Shouldn't we have a "sound preferences" in the menu like Ubuntu
has?

Tim

Follow ups