Re: Boot problems with Natty Alpha ISOs

On Fri, 4 Mar 2011 21:08:16 +0300
Mikhail Maksimov <mcwillin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> I've got a Pentium-IV box to test Lubuntu on. However, I cannot boot it from
> alpha1 or 2 liveCDs. The discs are being rejected by BIOS reporting
> "NON-SYSTEM DISC PLEASE INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER". However,
> Lubuntu 10.10 and Natty alpha-20110228 liveCDs both boot normally.
>
> I've installed 10.10 to the machine, then checked, double-checked and
> re-checked again the two alphas that do not boot. Both unbootable CDs are
> perfectly readable and the checksums are correct (once again, I'm checking
> it on the system that refuses to boot from them), so I assume it is not a
> hardware (cd-rom drive vs. cd-rom disc) issue. The BIOS is proven to be
> capable of booting from cd.
>
> I'm willing to do further testing but cannot think of anything to check. Any
> suggestions?

Hmmm.  I have known machines like yours that are very fussy about what they'll boot.  Any combination of the following might work.  These are in no particular order.

Check the BIOS options for drive delay or something similar.  This causes the system to wait a little before accessing drives to allow them to spin up etc.
Burn at the slowest speed you can.
Burn on that machine if you are burning them on another.
Try a different make of CD, it's surprising but some drives appear to have problems with some makes of CD.
CD R/W can be problematic, use CD R instead.
Have a look round the net for boot floppies that can be used to start a CD
Use a flash drive if the machine can boot them.  Sometimes machines may not have a setting for flash drives but do have other USB options that may work.  If not go to http://www.pendrivelinux.com for a floppy boot image to boot the flash drive.

I have used all of the above at various times.  One I haven't tried is to fiddle with GRUB on the HDD to boot a CD.  I believe it can be done though.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net