Really odd keyboard and mouse issue

Good morning/afternoon/evening Lubuntu Team,

I am experiencing some really odd behaviour lately and I wanted some
ideas on how to troubleshoot it further. Every now and then, seemingly
randomly, the mouse and keyboard will really start to lag, so much you
can't move it at times for anywhere up to 5 minutes or so at a time.
During this time the monitor keeps updating (I run conky and all that
updates as often as it should so the machine is fine it's just the
keyboard and mouse).

The first thing I tried was to remove the KVM and killed the synergy
program that I usually use to connect the computers here to test it
and I've proved it only affects my Lubuntu machine. The second test
was to SSH into the machine and the input is severley lagged even in
an SSH terminal as well as when plugged in locally. Thirdly I've
unplugged the keyboard and mouse when it was hung on the computer in
question and plugged it into another computer, had it working fine,
then plugged it back to the problem computer and it was still hung for
a while.

I am running Lubuntu 10.10 with all the updates available. I have no
other idea how to test this to see what is causing the problem. Has
anyone else had similar problems or can anyone suggest how I can
trouble shoot this problem further?

Regards,

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris