Re: Fwd: Which talk engine etc?

On 05/25/2011 05:32 AM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> your thoughts on espeak for lubuntu?

Given lack of spec for what we want to do, if someone is working on
speech output for Lubuntu, using espeak at least as a quick fix seems
reasonable.

BUT this question in itself is "cart before the horse" symdrome!

First, get a spec for what "accessibility" we want to see (and have
resources to implement) in Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric.  *Then* discussion on
what software to use, what integration work needs doing, etc. can start.

If the Ubuntu Accessibility team doesn't have a basic prioritized list
of "things to implement so your OS is considered accessible", then, IMO,
we should shelve accessibility features in Lubuntu for this cycle, and
start up a blueprint for accessibility in Lubuntu Prolific Panda (or
whatever it will be named!).

It's not as though we have a surplus of devs standing idle with no work
for them to do in Oneiric :)

Jonathan