Re: Hmm, does any of this affect us?

On 06/24/2011 02:47 PM, Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset wrote:

> Maybe the concern about this should be focus on the future of the app.
> Will it still be well supported now that's off from Ubuntu?

(1) It's not "off from Ubuntu" -- it is just not included on the Ubuntu
CD, and not installed by default.  It is still included in the Ubuntu
software ecosystem.

  rmadison -s oneiric synaptic  # outputs:

  synaptic | 0.75.2ubuntu1 |       oneiric | source, amd64, i386

It is clearly still there :)

(2) The future of synaptic and how well it will be supported is really a
matter for the upstream synaptic developers, and no-one on this list is
a synaptic dev as far as I know.  Since there is no sign of synaptic
disappearing from Debian, or from the Ubuntu repositories, I think we
are pretty safe there :)

To me, this seems a bit like asking "Now Ubuntu uses Unity by default,
will the GNOME UI cease to exist or become unsupported?".  No, of course
it won't :)

SUMMARY: As far as I can see, there is no need for concern about this.
Not for concern about its effect on Lubuntu, not for concern about the
future of the app, not for concern about its future support.  No concern
at all is warranted.

Jonathan