Re: Language Packs

On 07/21/2011 04:29 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> I know we've discussed this before, but for the life of me I cannot
> find the solution / bug-fix / work around....

I'm not aware of previous discussion, maybe it was before my time :)

(This quote should have an attribution line, so we know who said it...)

>> Only problem with 11.04 liveusb is that it showed 300 updates
>> available, and it looked like 200 of them were language packs. I
>> was installing them all but eventually ran out of room on my 4gb
>> usb stick. So now only updating chromium and flash (since main
>> purpose is web browsing).

As far as I know, the only way to get this kind of issue is to install
hundreds of language packs.  Very few people do that, most of us do not
speak *that* many languages!  There are many packs on the CD, but by
default we do not install all of them.

The output of

  dpkg-query -W language-pack-\?\?

might be interesting to know in working on this issue.

If I am correct, the workaround is to not install (or uninstall!) all
the language packs for languages you do not need :)

More generally, if you do a lot of updates in a low-disk-space
environment, doing

  sudo apt-get clean

can free up significant disk space.

Jonathan