Re: Extend desktop across dual monitors -- a feature I would like to see in Lubuntu 12.xx

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:13 AM, PCMan <pcman.tw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Multi-monitor support is a long standing issue.
> Here I'd like to ask everyone.
> How should a muli-monior desktop bahave?
> For the desktop panel:
> 1. one panel per monitor, configured separately
> 2. one panel exending to the external monitor
> 3. one panel staying on main monitor, no panel on the external one
> 4. one panel exending to the external monitor, but have the most
> important panel applets on the main monitor, and the rest on the external
> monitor
> 5. Other possibilities...
>
> For the desktop icons manager, options are:
> 1. icons on main monitor only.
> 2. some icons on main monitor, others on the external monitors. (Then how
> to handle icon rearrangement when the external monitor is disconnected?)
> 3. others...
>
> For wallpaper:
> 1. one wallpaper per monitor
> 2. one wallpaper extending to all monitors
> 3. others...
>
> Things goes much more complicated since X supports XRandR, Xinerama, other
> vendor-specific solutions, X11 Display/Screen stuff. Implementation details
> for them are totally different. So how exactly should a desktop behave and
> be implemented? What will happen after Wayland is introduced and is widely
> accepted?
> We had better have a conclusion on the specifications before anything is
> going to be implemented. Comments needed. Thanks!

  In my setup, I prefer:
One panel on main monitor, none on secondary OR mirrored panels on both.
Icons on main monitor only (actually, I prefer a clean desktop with no icons
other than mounted devices).
One wallpaper per monitor, configurable.
xrandr works comfortably for me.