Re: Fwd: Installer issues with PPC Ocelot

Thanks again, Phil. I did add this to the one place I know of, bug 756719 in Launchpad. If it should go elsewhere or if more detail is required, let me know.

On Oct 7, 2011 11:57 AM, Phill Whiteside <phillw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi QA,
for my limited knowledge, this seems like a problem in the build engine as it is affecting both lubuntu & ubuntu. I had previously pointed the OP to the bug affecting the 'mirror' problem.

Should this be filed against Ubiquity or the build system, or something else? I'm certain that he would than happy to provide further information on what the system is doing etc if asked.
@ Walter, as you can see, I've asked the QA team to issue guidance as to where best to report the problem. Thanks for taking the time to report the issue, I hope to have good news for you soon.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Walter Lapchynski <carsrcoffins23@xxxxxxxxx>

Date: Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM
Subject: [Lubuntu-desktop] Installer issues with PPC Ocelot
To: "lubuntu-desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lubuntu-desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I was SO excited to see Lubuntu on Canonical with an Ocelot version. My 12" PowerBook G4 has been waiting forever for this.

Unfortunately, installation isn't going well. Desktop installer needed a bunch of upgrades (including to pygobject which caused an error) and then failed because of a supposedly fixed error in choose-mirror where "mirror" is the default rather than "ports.ubuntu.com."

This error IS fixed in x86 Ocelot but not in PPC. Standard Ubuntu PPC Ocelot has the same issue, so this is not just Lubuntu.

I have tried to run Ubiquity without the network connection and yet still the installer attempts to download packages.

I tried the alternate install CD and it boots fine, but when it comes to detecting the cdrom, it fails. The BusyBox shell fails to reveal mention of the cdrom anywhere: syslog, dmesg, /proc, /dev, etc. I tried to try again many times over to no avail.

Interestingly, the latest Debian Squeeze PPC small CD, which I believe has the same installer, has no problems detecting the cdrom.

So I don't know where to go next but I'm hoping that maybe the choose-mirror fix can be applied to the PPC version or that perhaps there may be some config file (like sources.list but for choose-mirror) I could manually edit. Ideas?