Re: Network Manager

On 12/14/2011 04:53 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> I've finally upggraded from 9.10 Ubuntu to 11.10 Lubuntu, the problem
> is that my network monitor icon has vanished from my bar whilst I was
> re-organising things and I do not see it any where on the the list of
> things that should be there?

(1) Probable quick temporary fix:

At a shell prompt, type in

  nm-applet &

(2) Probable more permanent fix:

Edit the panel config, probably a file called panel under
~/.config/lxpanel/Lubuntu/panels/ .  You can try doing that with the GUI
(right-click on the panel, in Panel Preferences dialog click the Panel
Applets tab and add the System Tray if it is missing (I *think*
nm-applet shows up inside the system tray!).

(3) More complicated more techie fix:

If that doesn't help... you're a sysadmin, so you get to do it the
harder way.   I don't know all the boring details, but it is a text
file; worst case, consider creating a new user and logging in as that
user; that user will then have a default lxpanel setup, which is likely
to include nm-applet.  Now you can compare that one with the one being
used by your real user (with diff, or by eye), and make appropriate
changes to your panel config file by hand, and then do

  lxpanelctl restart

to see the effect of your edit :)

(4) Next time, be sure to have good recent backups of both /etc and your
home directory *before* messing with any configuration stuff :)

Jonathan