Re: Idea for i586

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 12:24:42 +0000
Martin Olesen <skovprodukter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2011/12/21 Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 19:14:08 -0300
> > Jean-Pierre Vidal Piesset <jpxsat@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >> First, don't kill me for bringing back this topic ;)
> >>
> >> Since Lubuntu is official, maybe the cause for dropping i586 is obsolete
> >> (if I remember right it was because none of the flavours could run in it,
> >> so there was no "market" there).
> >> Aditionally, there's the fact that LTS are the less demanding resource
> >> releases :) (experieced by me with 8.04 and 10.04)
> >> Maybe we could ask nicely, together with Xubuntu, that at least for the LTS
> >> *ubuntu could exist for i586...
> >> I doesn't sound completely crazy to me.
> >>
> > Is there any call for i586 kernel?  Has anybody complained of it's absence?  I would imagine there would have to be some numbers produced to justify it's inclusion.
> >

> If I understand this correctly we are dealing with processors 12
> (twelve) years old or more having a clock frequency of less than 300
> MHz. Such a computer is hardly usable for any practical purpose.
>
> I'd say we (that is, the Buntu community in general) should forget
> about them and focus on getting better support for new hardware.

Lubuntu is intended to support older hardware.   There are, however,  recent machines, based on the Geode LX chip , that are not fully i686 compatible.  But, how many is the problem.  I can understand the Ubuntu devs not wishing to support large numbers of kernels, especially as there are now a number of ARM kernels in the repos to be supported.  Like the PAE kernel problem, with the Celeron M, are there enough users to test and support the appropriate kernels.
I really don't know which way to go on this one to be honest.  But, in both cases, it's not just about last centuries hardware.

--
Yorvyk