Re: removing Chromium (really removing chromium-browser)

On 11-12-22 01:17 PM, Jonathan Marsden wrote:
> Please would everyone note that in the world of Debian and Ubuntu
> packages, chromium is a game, and chromium-browser is a browser :)
>
>> On Dec 22, 2011 8:43 AM, Phill Whiteside <phillw@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Removing Chromium using the two different commands provides massively
>> different results. This was 1st reported on IRC and the pastebin [1]
>> of the output is now available. If one of the 'guru's could take a
>> look at it, it's way beyond my limited expertise!
>

>> [1] http://paste.ubuntu.com/778561/
>

> It pays to stick with apt-get or aptitude and not mix them.  However,
> that doesn't really fully explain this.
>
> At a quick glance, I have a suspicion that the issue could be related to
> line 141 of that pastebin page:
>
>   141)     ia32-libs recommends ia32-libs-multiarch
>
> Hmmm... ia32libs is *not* a default install on Lubuntu (or Ubuntu!) as
> far as I know.  Therefore, it appears that someone has probably been
> experimenting with running 32bit-only closed-source proprietary apps on
> a 64bit OS installation, and has got themselves (or aptitude, or
> something) into a bit of a mess.  ia32-libs is a fairly nastly hack,
> IMO, and should only be used by people who thoroughly understand what it
> does and how it works (and I don't fully understand that myself!).
>
> I admit that I do use la32-libs, very reluctantly, to run Skype on my
> amd64 Ubuntu Lucid install, but that's *not* a recommendation of it.
> Multi-arch support in Ubuntu is improving, but I don't think it is
> "there" yet.
>
> To explore this further, can we ask:
>
>  (a) Who or what installed ia32-libs, and for what purpose?

My logs don't go back far enough to say for sure but I think it's
because of this puppy:

ii  flashplugin-downloader:i386           11.1.102.55ubuntu0.11.10.1
             Adobe Flash Player plugin downloader
ii  flashplugin-installer                 11.1.102.55ubuntu0.11.10.1
             Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

I know I installed the latter.  I guess the former got sucked in.

>  (b) Was the chromium-browser being removed a 32bit i386
>      chromium-browser, or a 64bit amd64 chromium-browser?
>

>      dpkg-query -W -f='${Package} ${Version}\t${Architecture}\n' chromium-browser
>

>      should help answer that one.

dpkg-query -W -f='${Package} ${Version}\t${Architecture}\n' chromium-browser

chromium-browser 15.0.874.106~r107270-0ubuntu0.11.10.1  amd64

>  (c) Can this issue be duplicated from a fresh Lubuntu install, and if
>      so, what are the exact set of steps needed to do so?

Dunno.  I will try when I get some free-time.

>  (d) What do the following commands output on the affected system?
>
>      uname -a ; echo $(lsb_release -cdrs)
>      aptitude why ia32-libs

Linux sato 3.0.0-14-generic #23-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 21 20:28:43 UTC 2011
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Ubuntu 11.10 11.10 oneiric

This was originally Natty.  I understand at that time there was no
native 64-bit version of the flash plugin available.  I think there was
a PPA package.  So now I have a ton of 32-bit packages installed:

dpkg -l | grep :i386 | wc -l
124

>   (e) Lastly (this could generate a lot of output!), what is the output
>       from:
>
>       aptitude -Wvs remove chromium-browser

aptitude -Wvsy remove chromium-browser > remove_chromium-browser.txt

This file is 20 MB.

--
Peter Matulis