About Xscreensaver

It has been pointed in the past, that for old machines Xcreensaver makes
everything sluggish (i can make proof of it because some installations of
Lubuntu have crashed because it tries to launch xcreensaver and everything
falls apart AND in my pentium 3 @1000mhz the first thing i cut is the
screensaver because it slows the whole system)
If I remember correctly, drop xcreensaver was a bad idea just for the
blocking screen.
I've been using a little Ubuntu 11.10 and I'm wondering if they still use a
screensaver at all. Maybe they are using something different just to block
the screen?
If yes, maybe we could use the same thing and cut xcreensaver from Lubuntu.

-- jpxsat

Follow ups