lubuntu-irc-ops team mailing list archive

FAQ about the Lubuntu call for operators

 Hi all,

As you may have seen we have put out a call for operators for the #lubuntu channel. This is all part of our standard procedure for welcoming new operators to the global core ops team, some of it may seem a bit comical as you are all already ops in #lubuntu, but bear with us on this, it all works out the same in the end. What I want to do in this email is explain the next steps and answer a few questions I can anticipate you having about it.

* OMG you are asking us to apply for our own jobs!!!
yeah, sorry it does seem a bit that way, but relax, it is just a comical procedural anomaly. What you are really doing is applying to join the global core ops team. There might be other people who respond to the call for ops who are applying to be #lubuntu operators.
For reference, the procedures we are following are here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcTeam/OperatorRequirements
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcTeam/Probation

* What happens next?
The sequence of events is as follows:
FIrst we would like you all to apply to join this launchpad team here -> https://launchpad.net/~irc-lubuntu-ops/+join In a week or so the IRCC will review the list of people who have applied to join and accept applications as appropriate. We will assign mentors individually (based in part on your wiki pages), and sort out training sessions on different topics
There will be a 3 month induction and training period for all new operators.

* Will we automatically be accepted?
The IRCC will review all the applications individually, which will include the existing ops and any others that respond to the call for ops. We will be looking at wiki pages (I checked you all have one) and recommendations from our existing ops team and from people who have direct experience in the #lubuntu IRC channel, we will be particularly interested in the opinions of the lubuntu leadership and the 4 Ubuntu Members who are current ops there. It would be a little surprising if the membership of ~irc-lubuntu-ops ended up different to ~lubuntu-irc-ops.

* How many ops should #lubuntu have?
There is no defined ratio of ops to users, but compared to our other channels #lubuntu will probably end up slightly overstaffed, which is a lot better than being understaffed.

* Can we keep ~lubuntu-irc-ops?
Sure, the ~irc-lubuntu-ops team is just an administrative group for the benefit of the ircc, that one won't have a mailing list and it is great that you have organised a group with a mailing list facility.

* What is involved in the induction period?
You will be assigned a mentor (actually two of them) from the core ops team.
You will be invited to the #ubuntu-ops channel which is our central mediation place for resolving bans from all core channels. You should not say anything here unless discussed with your mentor. You will be invited to the private discussion channel for the core team where you can be a bit more chatty.
You will get access to the bantracker.
There will be a number of fun and interesting training sessions on topics like setting bans, using the bantracker and floodbots, how we resolve bans in -ops etc. Some of these might not seem that relevant in #lubuntu right now, but in a few years when you have 1600 people idling in the channel maybe it will be!

* How can I "fail" the induction period?
We don't want anyone to drop out. That said, there are a few things that could cause concern, including: If you are not active at all during the induction period then we would ask you to come back again at a future date when your availability has changed. If you fall out with your mentors this could be a problem. We might assign another mentor and/or extend your induction period or might ask you to come back at a future date (this is really unlikely, our mentors are all lovely people) If you mess about in the -ops channel or abuse the bantracker or bots that would be a problem. If you were to get banned in one of our channels that would be a big problem, don't do that!

* Will people not completing the induction be removed from the channel access list We want everyone to complete the induction, but yes, ultimately removal from the access list is what would happen.

* Can I then be ops in #ubuntu/#kubuntu etc?
After successfully completing the induction you can apply to be an operator in other channels, the join requests pile up until we do a call for ops and then evaluate a batch of join requests. If you are accepted (which isn't automatic, you have to be suitable for the channel in question and active in it) then you don't go through the induction again as you are already on the core ops team.

* Can other ops from #ubuntu come wandering into #lubuntu banning people?
no, they can apply for ops in #lubuntu and the IRCC would have to decide if they are suitable for lubuntu which would involve getting input from the existing ops team.

* Does this mean we can't speak to Freenode staff?
no, we are not in the business of censorship!

* Do we have to have ubottu and ban tracking in #lubuntu
No, there is no requirement for core channels to be set up a certain way, but lets discuss whether you want to make any changes to the channel around the end of the induction (which is about the time of the release of precise and UDS-Q).

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask them either by email or find me on IRC in the #lubuntu channels or you can pop into #ubuntu-irc-council if you want to ask the council something more privately.

Alan

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk