What can we do about abiword in Quantal?

I'm just checking a bunch of stuff and preparing for Ubuntu and Xubuntu 12.04.1 testing next week. I know that doesn't involve Lubuntu but I have a few pet bugs that I hope to address so I updated my Lubuntu Quantal on two machines and checked out abiword very closely.

On both machines I experience the problems explained in comment #27 of this bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/abiword/+bug/1019621

Scrolling doesn't work properly, sometimes the screen flashes, trying to read some old abiword docs results in large gray or black "boxes" where there should just be blank page. Basically abiword is a total mess :^(

Unless  msevior has changed his mind I'd remind everyone that he said, "As maintainer of abiword I urge you to switch to abiword-2.8.6. Debian testing has moved on to 2.9.3 which is a considerable improvement of 2.9.2 but it still contains many bugs."

So what should we do? I think our time to decide is very limited with a feature freeze coming on August 23rd. I doubt we could change versions of abiword after that :^(

Releasing a buggy application twice in a row is kind of a bad advertisement regarding stability so let's please discuss this.

Lance

Follow ups