update-manager never appears on lubuntu precise

update-manager has managed to turn itself off on Lubuntu systems.
I actually not convinced this bug is affecting everyone.  I can't
explain why other people haven't noticed this bug.  It's a mystery of
the universe.  Please meditate.

anyhow Nicholas Skaggs did some testing on it.  Seemed to confirm the
bug.   Thanks Nicholas!
It's not really his job anyway.  what I'd like from Nicholas is an
introduction to the canonical employee that maintains update-manager,
so I can explain the importance of fixing the bug.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/update-manager/+bug/1046563