Re: Fwd: New -experimental drivers for nvidia/fglrx

At the moment, there isn't any plans for testing these new drivers as they come into place. However, ideas are starting to come forward on how we might be able to help test in support of this new process. I'm open to your thoughts :-) As you mentioned, we could track the drivers and create a tracker for them if desired.. Testcases would need to be created in that case in support of the testing.

Nicholas

On 09/18/2012 11:43 AM, Ho Wan Chan wrote:
Gee I don´t have Nvidia drivers so I can´t test it.

Nicholas, is it that the Drivers will have their own testcase in the
packages tracker?

Regards,
Howard (smartboyhw)

2012/9/18 Phill Whiteside <PhillW@xxxxxxxxxx>:
F.Y.I.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nicholas Skaggs <nicholas.skaggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 18 September 2012 16:39
Subject: New -experimental drivers for nvidia/fglrx
To: Ubuntu QA <ubuntu-qa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The technical board has decided to make some tweaks to how the nvidia/fglrx
drivers work inside ubuntu in response to better supporting newer hardware.

An -experimental package for each released Nvidia/fglrx beta driver will be
made availible. Users can install these drivers independently, with a
fallback by default to the stable driver. They will all have -experimental
in the package name and will be selectable as part of software updater's
'additional drivers'.

The packages will come with a warning about stability upon installation, and
the typical SRU requirements will be waived. There will not be a one-week
wait, and while people will respond to bugs found in these drivers,
regressions and bugs can easily occur given the closed binary nature of the
packages as well as the "beta" label given to them by the company releasing
the driver.

What this will allow for is support for newer games and technology as it
becomes available, even when running a stable release. I wanted to let
everyone know to be on the lookout in about 2 weeks for these new drivers to
land into quantal and precise. Additionally, the package names will be
cleaned up next cycle to better represent the packages and prevent
confusion.

Thanks,

Nicholas