Re: PowerPC bugs

Phil, Colin et al This is an insanely easy bug to fix.  I knocked up a patch for yaboot-installer in a few minutes to show how to solve the problem.  I've attached it to the bug 1040526.  The use of the vt.handoff=7 parameter boots radeon cards into a 16 bit desktop by default. To boot into a higher depth (e.g. 24 bit) or to boot into KMS you will need to add a boot parameter. The difficulty has always been Colin Watson's and lubuntu-qa's insistence that the user should not be expected to add a boot parameter.  At present this is impossible because KMS is the best solution for some people, whereas for other people it isn't.  You are asking to be all things to all people.  To be KMS and not KMS at the same time which is impossible.  You have to give the user the choice.  So you have to create default options for KMS or non-KMS (which I proposed in my "rambling email") or you let the user add their own boot parameter to do it (e.g. video=ofonly to turn on KMS). Letting the user add their own parameter is obviously the easiest and lowest risk option and is the currently documented way.  I've never seen the problem with this. If you want to solve the problem of nouveau cards booting into a very low palette when turning off KMS then you have to build back in the legacy framebuffers: -CONFIG_FB_RIVA=m-CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=m+CONFIG_FB_RIVA=y+CONFIG_FB_NVIDIA=y This will disable KMS by default, but it can be re-enabled with the video=ofonly parameter.  It will make the nouveau setup the same as radeon's setup. All you have to do is get the kernel peole to apply the above changes to fix nouveau.  Adam