Re: Chromium eating memory

On 12/28/2012 10:01 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:
> Hi Lars,
>
> Can you let me know which version of Lubuntu and Chromium you are using?
> I'll set up a small VM and fire up... say... BBCNews [1], Ubuntu Forum[2],
> a Bug report [3] and leave them to run and see how it gets on. If all is
> well after 24 hours, I'll add in a couple of extra web-pages that you think
> may be causing issues.
>
> The BBC site does have some flash / shockwave stuff on it. I've found
> issues with the likes of FaceBook suddenly running away with 100% CPU usage
> so will not start off with that one.
>
> Regards,
>
> Phill
> 1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/
> 2. http://ubuntuforums.org/
> 3. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser/+bug/1086613

Hi, Phill,

Thanks.

It's chromium "Version 22.0.1229.94 Built on Ubuntu 12.10, running on
Ubuntu 13.04 (161065)" on Lubuntu 13.04  I don't use any Flash, ever.
I'm not sure that any particular page by itself causes the trouble it
seems to be more general to Chromium.  It's not something that comes on
quickly, it's just that over the course of the day, use of Chromium
leads to more and more swap being used until thrashing starts.

A little bit related to this is the failure of some apps (konversation
and sometimes thunderbird) to follow system preferences and launch
http/https URLs in Firefox.  Apps like konversation launch everything in
Chromium regardless of the system settings and apps like thunderbird
launch only https in Chromium and obey the system settings for http.

Regards
/Lars