Re: ssh not allowing password login if keys are an option

2013/3/11 Jonathan Marsden <jmarsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 03/10/2013 05:48 AM, Julien Lavergne wrote:
>
>> We had problems with SSH in the past, so we add a workaround in
>> /usr/bin/startlubuntu:
>> # Export Gnome-keyring variables if needed
>> # See bug #664206
>
> Thanks, this helps me understand the issue.  However, that bug refers to
> using a menu item "Passwords and Encryption Keys" which does not seem to
> exist in Lubuntu (latest raring daily for amd64).  So in Lubuntu, I
> cannot test any effects of removing the gnome-keyring-daemon stuff that
> relates to first saving keys and passphrases using that tool -- because
> the tool does not seem to be present!
This behavior looks like the gnupg-agent behavior (stealing focusing,
GUI for password ...), but as far as I know, it's for keys.

> I *think* the original reporter of bug #664206 was not running Lubuntu,
> but was running lxde on top of a GNOME-based Ubuntu installation?  In
> which case, we apparently fixed a bug for non-Lubuntu users in a file
> called startlubuntu, which seems odd, and in the process we seem to have
> introduced some issues that *can* affect Lubuntu users.
>
>> However, another workaround was added recently which may fix the same
>> problem, without using gnome-keyring-daemon
>
> This looks like a more 'normal' approach to me, and it works fine for me
> with the gnome-keyring-daemon stuff commented out.  ssh then works the
> way I expect it to, as does ssh-add.  I tested both password and keypair
> based logins.  No strange additional entries in the output of ssh-add -l
> at all.
>
> I also noticed that the GUI popup passphrase prompt is replaced by the
> normal SSH text mode prompt, such as
>
>   Enter passphrase for key '/home/jonathan/.ssh/id_rsa':
>
> which is, for me, preferable to the GUI popup in three ways:
>
>  * It is what I expect from ssh, and so is not a surprise
>  * It requires no use of the mouse to use it, so hands can stay on
>    the keyboard where they belong, improving productivity
>  * It provides additional information, the location of the private
>    key file in use
>
>> If people can do some testing by removing the 1st workaround and see
>> if it's working as expected, that would help a lot :-) I'll be happy
>> if we can remove the 1st workaround.
>
> So will I :)  The only downside I can see is for anyone who likes the
> GUI passphrase prompt.
>
>> Note : lxsession should be configurable to start or not
>> gnome-keyring-daemon at startup, using parameters under [Security],
>> once the 1st workaround is removed.
>
> Based on what I am seeing here, I'd say go ahead and remove the 1st
> workaround, unless someone else has a valid objection to doing that.

Sounds good enough for me, thanks for the test. I'll remove the
gnome-keyring-daemon workaround, and add the correct fix to the
standard LXDE session.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne