reliably get persistence to work

i've had some trouble getting persistence going but i've been persistent in getting it going and balloons has been kind in offering help. since i managed to succeed, he asked me to post it up on the list for everyone else.

so first, format with gparted or parted if you prefer. don't bother with gnome-disks. consistently problematic.

then open it up in unetbootin. usb-creator does something it doesn't: calculate the maximum amount of persistence space, but it doesn't tend to work, so forget about it. that being said, when you set your persistence amount, make sure to be careful about the size of the iso and the size of the disk.

beyond that, if you have trouble booting it, look in bios for a hard drive boot option. my usb was listed there and i just needed to prioritize it ahead of the actual hdd. it also tends to forget its setting, which is annoying, but i digress…

lastly, the unetbootin boot menu comes up pretty darn quick when booting the drive, but it takes a good long while to get the desktop loaded. don't sweat it.

hope that helps someone!

wxl

Follow ups