Re: Compiling Xombrero for PPC

On 05/27/2013 03:13 PM, Phill Whiteside wrote:

> you are a good man :) But those of us who do know who as quiet person
> do know that, do you fancy trying a build using virtualistaion? The
> server area to do it is not a low resource. it just happens to be
> CentOS (RH) system. If you can follow on what inifinty et all said,
> I'm well up for it :)

I'm somewhat confused by the RH/CentOS aspect and who can and can't
access that server.  So I'm ignoring that for now :)

I see three possibilities:

(1) Unpacking a RH .rpm file for testing should be relatively
straightforward, if that is the plan.  Point me at the RPM and I can
create a corresponding tarball for you, if you want.

(2) I can try setting up a qemu PPC VM here and see how ridiculously
slowly it runs!  I have done qemu emulation of ARM for other projects so
that part I can do.  But if xombrero is a large piece of software, and
the powerpc emulation is slow... we could be looking at leaving it
running for days just to build the package that way!

(3) I can also try installing Ubuntu Server on "my" long-term-borrowed
iBook G4 (using a GUI on it seems to cause more trouble than it is
worth!) and building xombrero on that.  At least that way the build is
running on a real physical PPC CPU.

(3A) I might even be able to test the resulting xombrero package by
running it over SSH from a different (amd64) machine, so display and
keyboard are on a machine I know and trust.

(3B) If not, we can instead make the binary .deb package available for
others with PPC machines to test.

So we have options...

Jonathan